Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Pregnant for the 4th time

It appears that getting pregnant is definitely not my problem. For the record, we conceived my son on attempt #2. The second pregnancy on the 1st try, third on the 2nd try, and fourth literally days after the miscarriage ended. In fact, I wouldn’t say we were even trying at the time we actually conceived – I didn’t expect to ovulate for another couple of weeks and my doctor was pushing us to wait until I had one regular cycle to try again. Not to mention, we were (and are!) a bit gun shy after 2 consecutive miscarriages. My midwife called a week post miscarriage and indicated that there was absolutely no reason to wait so then I started using OPKs daily because she said the trick would be to pinpoint when I was ovulating, which is difficult to do post-miscarriage because your temps are fluctuating, CM and CP are not reliable, etc. Every OPK I took was negative. On Thursday last week, I had a bit of pink spotting in the afternoon and assumed AF was on her way, and was worried because it hadn’t been that long since the bleeding had ended and wondered if maybe the miscarriage wasn’t complete, as happened the last time. But AF never did arrive and instead my temps went up to what I call the “Pregnancy zone” – the temp I have only ever hit while pregnant, 37 degrees Celsius. On Friday, the OPK turned positive. I brushed all of this off and thought I was being irrational to think that I might be pregnant - surely the bleeding was because my body is sorting things out, trying to get back to normal, and the temp was because I’ve had a vicious cold that has kept me up at night and made me feel just generally miserable. I had read that OPKs could detect HCG but wasn’t counting on it so made DH do his “civic duty”* that night. On Saturday, my temp was sustained at 37 and since we had a Christmas party to go to that night I thought I would just POAS to make sure a few glasses of wine that night would be ok. All the while I was repeating to myself that I shouldn’t expect anything, the odds of actually being pregnant were very, very slim. Then that second pink line starting to materialize… and became just as dark as the control line.

Fast forward to today, after wondering if somehow my body is more messed up than I originally thought and somehow my hcg was on the rise again but was still due to the last pregnancy, I got the results from my first blood test and my beta was 644. Seems unlikely that it could still be that high from the m/c but, I’m going to have another blood test tomorrow to verify that the levels are going up. For reference, when we tested when the last miscarriage started, my hcg had already dropped to the low 300’s… and in the interim I took 2 HPTs that were also negative. My GP has told me that this is a new pregnancy, and I’m really hopeful (albeit, cautious) that she’s right.

Assuming that all appears to be going well after my beta, I’ve booked an ultra sound for December 22 to date the pregnancy – although it’s really more to reassure me that things are ok. If I’m still pregnant by then, I should be around 7 weeks so will hope to be able to see the heartbeat.

**Civic duty – my husband’s term for the BD. He will turn to me and ask lovingly if he has to do his civic duty tonight. For the record, I really hope this sticks, because I need a gosh darn break from all the civic duty he’s been doing since MAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment