Monday, September 10, 2012

Relief... :)

Amniotic fluid is all normal. Apparently either it was a little low and then reversed itself or the tech just didn't measure it properly. Frustrating. Either way, baby is looking great. We got to see almost everything during the ultra sound at 16 weeks 2 days. The tech showed us a cross section of the brain, the little nose, the mandibles, the heart beating away (150bpm again this time!), the stomach and bladder both filled with fluid (which means the baby is swallowing the amniotic fluid like s/he should and the kidneys are working which was my original fear about the amniotic fluid being low - yay!), we saw both arms and hands and both feet with teeny tiny toes. It was incredible. She could tell the gender but we don't want to know, we are keeping it a surprise for when s/he's born. I want DH to get to announce the gender on the birth day! Seriously.... wow. Obviously I was a bit emotional because I was concerned that I could be getting some bad news so I definitely shed a few happy tears when I got to see with my own eyes that all was well. In fact, baby is measuring spot on and bigger (up to a week bigger!) on every measurement. We got the official report from the doctor on Friday that confirmed everything they could visualize is normal... and we get to go back at 19 weeks for a second anatomy scan so they can re-measure and have another look once the baby is a little more developed.

It has been such a relief. I won't even share where my mind was going during those 2.5 weeks of torture waiting to know if baby would be ok. Plus my belly was starting to expand ever so slightly that I knew it would only be a matter of time until people started asking questions and we weren't ready to spread the word until we knew everything was okay. We even delayed our trip to see my grandmother. BUT, since it was happy news we have spent the last 5 days telling our immediate family and it's been so exciting to see their reactions and actually talk about the pregnancy. It really makes it real. I can hardly wait until this weekend to tell my grandmother that she's going to be a great grandma for the first time.

Feeling so blessed.... and like I need to buy some pants that fit! I'll update again soon.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that everything turned out great and you go to see Baby moving! I can't wait to see Baby H on Thursday :) I'm so glad that everything is good, you're both healthy and your mind is at ease!!

    ReplyDelete