Thursday, June 21, 2012

Twice lucky - appointment update

At the conclusion of my appointment with my own family doctor, she suggested that I call the midwifery clinic to see if I could get in, and if not to let her know and she would provide a referral to a friend of hers who is a family doctor who provides obstetrics care and delivers babies.

I called the midwifery clinic from my car in the parking lot because I was so afraid it would already be too late to get in (I had read that in Canada February is a really popular month for birthdays!). They took my information, told me that I was outside of their "catchment" area - ie. the district in which they operate, literally I am on the wrong side of the street I am so so close!). I begged and they promised they woud consider it and would let me know in 2-3 days one way or the other. Wednesday, Thursday and part of Friday passed with no word and I was starting to worry that if I didn't get a referral soon that I wouldn't get in to see the family doctor who my Dr. W. really likes. So I called Dr. W. and asked her for a referral and started convincing myself that family doctor was definitely the way to go.

Monday, Dr. W. confirmed that she had provided the referral and Tuesday morning I was able to schedule an appointment with Dr. R. for July 18. The information I got was "bring your partner, the appointment will be about 45 minutes".

Wednesday, to my surprise, I got a call from MY midwife. Yes, apparently they make all their own calls to their patients. I was really surprised that they agreed to take me given I live on the "wrong" side of the streed AND that I'd got a spot! She was so sweet and nice and we scheduled an appointment for July 23. She took my email address and promised to send me a package of information. I haven't received the information yet but I am excited about it. If I don't get it today I'll email them to make sure they got my email address right.

I feel incredibly fortunate because I have options. I also feel bad (almost like i'm two-timing a boyfriend! lol) because I am going to go to the same appointment with two different health care providers and could be taking up a spot for someone who is in desperate need of care. Despite this, I have decided to keep both appointments. I will meet both, get a better understanding about their practice and their beliefs and how well I connect with each of them and then make a decision. As of today, just based on the phone discussions I had, I'm leaning towards midwife but I think DH is on side with the family doctor. Only time will tell. 4 more weeks!!

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully your both on the same page after your appointments! Lol.
    It's great you are going to get a choice in your care. I look forward to hearing more about what they're like - your system is quite different over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol if you are on the wrong side of the street and they say no, they are being absolutely absurd IMO so I'm glad to hear you got in ok! :-) I think keeping both appointments is a good idea. This is your first time around so getting a chance to fully assess your options is always a good thing. It's not like you are planning to two time them you're whole pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete