Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Success!

One walmart superstore and 4 pharmacies later, I finally found a BBT Thermometer at the Shoppers Drug Mart closest to my house. I am shocked at how hard it was to find. Is it a Canadian thing? It seems like everyone in blogland found theirs easily. Anyway, let me introduce my new thermometer. Me and her are going to get really well acquainted this cycle. Here she is, pretty in pink, the life brand Basal Digital Thermometer, model #5944.
For $19.99 + HST this baby is accurate to 1/100th degree, beeps when ready and displays the last temperature taken. It is also water resistant and automatically shuts off after 9 minutes to conserve batteries.

That's some fancy marketing folks. I tested it out tonight to make sure I know how to use it and have already noticed a few things:
  • Not only does it beep when done, it beeps TEN TIMES. TEN. My husband is going to curse me every. single. morning. This is also going to make it difficult to do when I'm sleeping on an air mattress right outside my mother's room when visiting her this weekend since the family doesn't know we're TTC. Oh, but according to the manual, it only does this "sometimes". Other times, the little C will just stop flashing when it's done. How am I supposed to see a C about the size of the tip of a pencil in the dark, on a stick that is right below my nose? Suggestions welcome.
  • It displays the last temperature taken but only if you remember to hold the "on" button for 3 seconds when turning it on the next time you use it. If you forget to do this, it is lost forever.
  • I took my temp while sitting on the couch 3 times without moving. The temperatures it read were as follows: 36.65 degrees, 36.95 degrees, 36.90 degrees. Hmmmm. User error? I tried to put it in the exact same spot in my mouth, in the "hot" spot, consistent with the diagrams in the user manual.
  • Water resistant seems more like a requirement than a "feature" considering where I'm going to put it.
Alright, all jokes aside - I hope in practice it works better than this first impression. I'm excited to finally have it, start using it, charting my temps and sharing them with you.

9 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh lol. I get up and take my temp before even saying good morning to my husband that is up and sitting right beside me. Mine beeps a few times as well until I shut if off, but when I use it I am half a sleep so it takes me a while to see the numbers straight so it keeps beeping lol. I hope temping works well for you. I like it best for confirming ovulation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it made you laugh. I had fun writing this one lol. I'm excited to find out when I'm ovulating too... and then knowing when to expect AF. This month was the worst not knowing anything, not even knowing when I could test. Never doing that again.

      Delete
  2. Also, when I read the title of your post "Success" for a second I thought... Success? OMG she's pregnant! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops!! My bad - sorry! Small wins over here! Buying a thermometer was the highlight of my week. Didn't really think it through before I used that title.

      Delete
  3. If you are not totally squeamish about it...which really you shouldn't be if you are cervix checker... then temp vaginally instead. It is way more accurate than an oral temp because you don't have to find the hotspot or worry about having opened your mouth too long or the night air being to cold etc. etc. etc. The other benefit is that when it beeps (like mine) you can muffle the sound under the covers until its done beeping and then rip it out to have a look! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered doing this but I think I'n starting to freak the husband out a bit. When he got home tonight he said "you bought more pregnancy test stuff?!?" and I said "no, it's just a thermometer" and he said "where are you going to put it?". 'Nuff said. If it seems way off I will reconsider but I am going to give him a break on this one. Lol

      Delete
  4. "I am shocked at how hard it was to find. Is it a Canadian thing?"

    I'm thinking it is. I'm in southern Ontario and it took me weeks to find one! I checked a couple Walmarts, Zellers (before they closed down), a bunch of big grocery store chains with pharmacies (Loblaws, Great Canadian Superstore, Metro, etc) and about 4 Shoppers Drugmarts before i finally found this one. It seems like the Shoppers all have different inventory. I can never find everything I want at one location. ANNOYING. As for the other stores I mentioned, I never thought to ask at the pharmacy until I read about it one some message boards recently, so some might have had them behind the counter but I will never know. I finally decided to order one online but I happened to find this one today at a tiny Shoppers on the other side of town lol. I came across your blog while I was searching for reviews and stuff about it. Sounds good so far. Fingers crossed! Baby dust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that this is incredibly after-the-fact but I DID ask behind the counters and they had no clue what I was even asking for. They just kept pointing me towards the regular thermometers. Once I explained what I was looking for and they pointed at all possible ovulation products and thermometers behind the counter, I concluded that my search would have to continue elsewhere. I'm in Montreal and I checked in Walmart, Pharmaprix (that's what Shoppers Drugmart is called here), Loblaw's and three Jean Coutu pharmacies before finding one in a different Pharmaprix. It is incredibly difficult to find them in Canada!

      Delete
  5. I'm wondering if you have the manual for this thermometre? I'm trying to change it from celcius to farenheit and I can't remember how to do it. Any help is appreciated.

    Tera

    ReplyDelete