Thursday, May 17, 2012

Temping is hard work

Yes, it's day one of temping and I'm already encountering difficulties! I had a dream that I took my temp and the thermometer literally disintegrated in my mouth and I couldn't return it because it was all in pieces lol. Goes to show how much faith I had after testing it out yesterday. Then I was tossing and turning all night. Woke up at 5:17 and couldn't bring myself to wake up my hubby with the beeping because I wasn't sure just how loud it would be in the stillness of the morning. So, I rolled over hoping to sleep some more with no luck. I finally took my temp at 6:45 but I wouldn't necessarily call it my waking temp since I wasn't just waking up.

In the end, if i wrap my hand around the end of the thermometer really tight, the beeping is not too loud, I think if hubby is sleeping well, it may not wake him up. I'll try harder tomorrow!

I know they say to take the temp at the same time every day. BUT, is it better to actually get your waking temp? For instance, if I usually wake up at 6:40 and then one day I wake up around 5:15 for some reason, should I take my temp then so it's my waking temp (waking from my night of sleep) or is it better to try to go back to sleep and take it at the regular time, 6:40 but risk not actually falling back asleep and therefore it isn't really a waking temp? I should add that as soon as I wake up in the morning, I am thinking about work and deadlines. I can feel my blood pressure rising when I wake up in the morning. So I'm thinking it's probably better in my case to do it right away.  As a point of reference.... my "waking" temp this morning was 36.35. After I got up and showered I took it again just to see, and it was 36.65. Only a .3 degree celsius difference. Does that make sense? I'm guessing my waking temp would probably be lower if done accurately. For all my expert temp-ers out there, please weigh-in!

3 comments:

  1. I've only been temping for a little over a month now but I always get my waking temp and it fluctuates from 5:30am - 645am. I don't see how that would play a big role in it - I think they just want to make sure that you are getting a good nights sleep before temping. What I do (not to wake up hubby) I take my temp then once it starts beeping, I place it under my pillow until it stops then I look at it and put it directly into my FF iphone app! Hope this helps you some :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't temp at the same time because I'm at 4:20 on gym mornings, 6:00 on free days and 5:10 on work days. Having said that most of my temps will get done between 4:00 and 4:30am because my body clock is set to gym time. I find that when I do temp later it isn't a problem so long as I've not been awake for a long time. The only situation where my temps have been out is if DS has had a bad night and I've been up to him during the night or if I have had a really bad disrupted night of sleep. Otherwise the difference between 4:20 and 6:00 is not significant. The biggest problem I have is that I always think about temping when I know I have to do it so if I wake up i check the time and then find it hard to get back to sleep, even if its 2am. Hence, I don't like temping. lol. I would go with your longest block of sleep and not worry about the specific time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4AM?! You are one committed chick! Your name certainly seems appropriate, Fitness Fiend! What exactly are you into?

      I had better luck this morning, slept better and longer and still ended up with very close to the same temp, so am happy about that.

      Delete